02 03 kelseynhayes: Back to School: Reviewing Procedures and Routines for Your Middle School Classroom 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Back to School: Reviewing Procedures and Routines for Your Middle School Classroom

34






Hey, y'all! I'm back today for post #2 of the Back to School series, this time about Reviewing (or setting up, if you're a new teacher!) Procedures for Your Middle School Classroom!

Teaching my students my procedures and expectations is one of the cornerstones of making my classroom work. The importance of this cannot be overstated. I think sometimes, those of us who teach older kids (I have 8th graders) assume kids should know how to operate in a classroom by now through experience, or at least common sense. Well, about 2 minutes into class, those of us who have ever thought that have immediately regretted it :) All students (whether the best or worst  behaved!) need (and want!) to know how they are supposed to operate in your classroom, and what is expected of them. In this post, I'm going to outline a list of procedures to think through for your own classroom. This is by no means an exhaustive list, especially if you teach a lab class or special class like chorus or art, but is a base list. I'd love to hear others you come up with in the comments!

Whether you're a brand new teacher, or a seasoned pro, it is definitely worth your time to review your classroom procedures and expectations in the summer (and reflect more on them in the school year, but that's another post!). Your style changes, your students change, your room or set-up may change. What has always worked in the past may continue to work, or maybe you had a particularly challenging student that made you realize you needed procedures for certain classroom things. Either way outlining exactly what you want clears your head before the school year begins.

One of the most helpful things I saw when I first became a teacher was a teacher's procedures laid out in an A to Z format in one document. Committing your procedures and expectations to paper makes certain that you have in your mind what you want exactly. In my opinion, it is always best to have more procedures than needed thought through and ready to implement versus trying to get your students to buy in after the fact.

Now, let's get to the A-Z Procedures list with questions...

Thinking Through Procedures

Attendance
Attention
Bathroom
Binders (or Folders)
Computers
Electronics (other than computers)
Entering the Room
Exiting the Room
Grades
Homework
Independent Work
Intercom (had to include this one b/c it is my pet peeve!)
Lockers
Make Up Work
Paper Headings
Parent/Guardian Contact
Partner Work
Pencils
Phone
Receiving Help
Seating
Small Group
Supplies
Tissue
Trash
Uniforms
Water
Whole Class 
Visitors

Creating Procedures

Once you have thought through all of the procedures above (and I'm sure you even thought of others!) it is a good idea to commit your procedures to paper. When doing so, make sure your instructions are clear and concise (and maybe even in a numbered list format!) so they are easily understood by you and made so you can simply communicate them to students.

Again, each year I go through this process so I can fully reflect on each part of my classroom and make sure that my actions and my classroom environment are all geared to maximize student learning time and to build a culture of achievement in all students. 


Teaching Procedures

Just like a brilliant written lesson plan, you have to now teach these procedures to your students over and over again! When teaching procedures you will have to go over them often, if not daily with many of them, until students get the hang of it. In the first few days of school, you should be teaching procedures (explaining, modeling, practicing, etc.) as they come up in the classroom. Obviously simply going through the list and explaining to students what you want will not be enough and you and the students will end up frustrated!

I've heard teachers say many times "You're spending how long teaching procedures?". I always explain that in the long run the time I spend at the beginning of the year helping students get them down will save much valuable instructional time down the road, and keep me from going grey earlier :)

What did I miss? Do you have any procedures in your classroom that I didn't cover here? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter!



_________
If you missed the first post in the back to school series about setting big goals for meaningful achievement in you classroom, check it out here!

p.s. Interested in starting a teacher blog like this one? My friend, Suzi, wrote an ebook that can help you start and grow your blog!


Join the community!

Subscribe to get our latest content by email.


Powered by ConvertKit

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38